Green Hotels - Chicago
The Westin Chicago River North believes in promoting Cultural Sustainability and Environmental Responsibility and is committed to leaving less of a carbon footprint in the environment.
The following Green Initiatives and programs have been established and implemented to promote "green" operations and practices.
The Westin Chicago River North consistently strives to reduce waste and recycle on a daily basis. The following items are included in our recycling program:
- Paper, cardboard, plastic and glass
- Used print cartridges
- Light bulb ballasts, light bulbs and batteries
- Used kitchen grease
Energy Consumption and Efficiency Program
- The Westin Chicago River North adheres by green standards for use, maintenance and management of equipment efficiency and reduction of energy.
- Energy efficient CFL lighting has been installed in guest rooms and in the hotel's public spaces
- All lighting, computers and equipment in work and public areas are turned off when not in use
- Equipment has been replaced with high energy star efficient models
The Westin Chicago River North encourages guest to "be green" by participating in our Linen/Towel Reuse Program. Through this program, bed linens and towels are only changed upon guest request to aid in water and energy conservation efforts.
Through our Water Conservation Program local plants and trees are utilized for outdoor landscaping.
Waste Minimization and Purchasing Green Practices
- Smallest practical recycled contatiners are used for all amenities
- Paper products are minimum 30% Post Consumer Content
- Copiers are set to double-sided print as default and old documents are reused
- Purchasing is done in bulk when applicable and single product use is avoided
- Minimal use of disposable food service items
- Paper-less check-in is offered to guests
- Environmentally friendly cleaning and pest control products are used
- Local vendors are utilizied for product supply
- A kitchen energy reduction program has been established to reduce pre-heat timing and equipment usage
- Organic foods are an option if guests desire in Banquets and Room Service
- Vegetarian options are available in the hotel for meetings and restaurants
- Local food products are offered
- Buffets are offered as the most environmentally friendly option and can be served family style
Make A Green Choice
Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell us at check-in or look for the doorhanger in your guestroom.
One night can mean significant savings.
49.2 gallons is 787 cups, enough for 1 person to drink 2 cups per day for a year.
That's enough to run an Energy Star-rated laptop for 10 hours.
Save Natural Gas
Enough energy to heat a 400 square foot room at 70°F for 4 hours - when it's 10°F outside.
Fewer chemicals equals less toxicity in the environment. And that's good for everyone.
*All amounts estimated based on average guestroom size and materials usage.