The Westin Chicago River North believes in promoting Cultural Sustainability and Environmental Responsibility and is committed to leaving less of a carbon footprint in the environment.
The following Green Initiatives and programs have been established and implemented to promote "green" operations and practices.
Recycling Program: Our hotel strives to reduce waste and recycle on a daily basis. The following items are included in our recycling program:
- Paper, cardboard, plastic and glass
- Used print cartridges
- Light bulb ballasts, light bulbs and batteries
- Used kitchen grease
Energy Consumption and Efficiency Program: Through our Water Conservation Program local plants and trees are utilized for outdoor landscaping.
- Adheres to green standards for use, maintenance and management of equipment efficiency and reduction of energy.
- Energy efficient CFL lighting installed in guest rooms and in the hotel's public spaces
- All lighting, computers and equipment in work and public areas are turned off when not in use
- Equipment has been replaced with high energy star efficient models
Waste Minimization and Purchasing Green Practices:
- Smallest practical recycled containers are used for all amenities
- Paper products are minimum 30% Post Consumer Content
- Copiers are set to double-sided print as default and old documents are reused
- Purchasing is done in bulk when applicable and single product use is avoided
- Minimal use of disposable food service items
- Paperless check-in is offered to guests
- Environmentally friendly cleaning and pest control products are used
- Local vendors are utilized for product supply
- A kitchen energy reduction program has been established to reduce pre-heat timing and equipment usage
- Organic foods are an option if guests desire in Banquets and Room Service
- Vegetarian options are available in the hotel for meetings and restaurants
- Local food products are offered
- Buffets are offered as the most environmentally friendly option and can be served family style
Make A Green Choice
Conserving water, energy and other resources is rewarding for you and great for the environment. Enjoy a $5 voucher at participating food and beverage outlets or 500 Starpoints® awarded at check-out for each night you decline housekeeping (except day of departure).To participate in the Make a Green Choice program, please tell us at check-in or look for the door hanger in your guestroom.
One night can mean significant savings.
Save Water | 49.2 Gallons*
49.2 gallons is 787 cups, enough for 1 person to drink
2 cups per day for a year.
Save Electricity | 0.19 KWH*
That's enough to run an Energy Star-rated laptop for 10 hours.
Save Natural Gas | 25,000 btu*
Enough energy to heat a 400 square foot room at 70°F for 4 hours
- when it's 10°F outside.
Save Chemicals | 7 oz*
Fewer chemicals equals less toxicity in the environment.
And that's good for everyone.
*All amounts estimated based on average guestroom size and materials usage.